Apparently “con” means “with” in Spanish so Chilli Con Carne quite literally translates as Chilli With Meat. I love how simplistic food names in other languages can be.
Anyway! Recipe time! I mentioned a few recipes ago that sausage meat is an absolute lifesaver when you’re on a budget. Frozen sausages are not only much cheaper than mince meat but also keep for much longer and in my humble opinion actually taste as good, if not better.
Not convinced? Hopefully this recipe will prove it to you.
- 8 Frozen Sausages
- 1 can of Kidney Beans (Drained)
- 1 can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Purée
- 2 Tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Onion
- 200ml vegetable stock
- (Optional) Around 200g Mushrooms sliced into chunks.
- Strip the sausages and gather the meat in a mixing bowl. I’ve found this is easiest to do while they are fully frozen: run some warm water, give the sausage a quick dip then peel it from the ends like a banana. Throw away the skin. Repeat for all sausages.
- Cut up your onion into small pieces, and start to cook them in a small amount of cooking oil in a large pan.
- Once the onions are soft, add the sausage meat and keep stirring, it’s best to leave the sausage meat to defrost once skinned so it breaks apart more easily.
- (Optional) if you’re adding mushrooms to the dish, do so now. Slice them up or crush them and add to the pan.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir well, allowing the meat to absorb some of the stock will make it fall apart.
- Keep stirring and once everything is browned nicely, add your kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and chilli powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point turn down the heat to medium and let the mixture simmer away, your goal here is to reduce it so that there is next to no liquid left in the sauce. Keep stirring occasionally so everything gets evenly cooked. Should take around 20-30 minutes depending on how much liquid there is.
- When you can see the bottom of the pan for more than 3 seconds while stirring, it’s ready. Time to serve!
Or you can save it! I don’t recommend refreezing previously frozen meat but it should be ok in the fridge for 3 days tops. You can serve this with Rice, Pasta or even a Baked Potato!
Hope you enjoyed this one guys! It’s certainly a favourite of mine! Leave a comment if you tried it! Like if you enjoyed! Cheers!